3 1/4" L 1 1/4" W
This ornament, made of brass and painted enamel, is based on the original Virginia Museum of Fine Arts as it looked when it was first built in 1936. The idea for the new museum was conceived in 1919 when a prominent Virginia judge donated 50 paintings to the Commonwealth. Inspired by the works of architect Christopher Wren, Peebles and Ferguson Architects of Norfolk, VA, designed the designed the English Renaissance-style building. VMFA opened its doors to the public on January 16, 1936.